On the lead single off his ‘06 junior LP, Ray J shared the One Wish he’d ask to be granted, if he came across a genie in a magic lamp: to be forever united with the girl he’s loved since they both were kids. Roughly five years later, the crooner has returned to offer an update: while he did indeed win her heart for the short term, the “forever” part proved to be tougher than he’d imagined. Thus, he’s got one Last Wish to make. Darkchild rejoins Ray behind the boards, crafting a synth-infused reimagining of the original’s piano-led beat as the singer once again pours out his feelings to that special lady, explaining that, although their relationship’s entered troubled waters, he’s not ready to give up – promising to become a better man, he implores her to keep faith. Will their love weather the storm? Unless Ray decides to make One Wish into a trilogy, we may never know for sure. As for how the song has held up over the years, that’s for you to determine. Those digging it should don their Hazmat suits and prepare to receive a second dose of Raydiation in February of 2011, when the singer’s fifth album hits stores.
Written by richard on 10/17/10
Submit your Rating
KO Entertainment/Fifth Amendment
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"No Porno Shit" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.