In a 1992 interview with MTV, late rap icon 2Pac called out famous musicians and other high-rollers for living large while those in the streets languished: “There is no way Michael Jackson ... or whoever ... should have a million thousand quadruple billion dollars and then there’s people starving.” Twenty years later, of course, the country’s come to its senses and there are no longer Have(nots) struggling to survive as others enjoy ostentatious wealth… psych! As Jersey emcee Rav.P and Sacramento spitter Swerve remind us on their collaborative Booth debut and lead EP single, the gulf separating the top 1% from the poor is wider than ever. With Soulful‘s chilly choral samples as their canvas, the collaborators reflect on how far they’ve come from their poverty-stricken beginnings while drawing listeners’ attention to the abject suffering that surrounds us all on the daily. If this thought-provoking jam’s piqued your interest, keep it locked; Rav and Swerve’s forthcoming project as yet lacks a title and drop date, but The DJBooth will keep you supplied with the latest.
Written by richard on 10/8/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"'Til We Get Right " (2013)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.