Remember Rashad, the Grand Hustle signee who brought us Tell Em What They Wanna Hear way back in 2008? Well, forget about that guy—I mean, not permanently, just for the time being. This Rashad, an unsigned R&B singer and beatsmith previously heard collaborating with Stalley on Slapp and Summer in America, is a totally different individual. And as long as I’m being pedantic, I guess I should stipulate that his new single, Jam (That’s My Sh*t!) is about the artist’s appreciation for music, not the deliciousness of fruit preserves. Anyways, this unique cut finds the Ohio representative showcasing his skills both on the mic and behind the boards, crafting a soulful yet dissonant (are those microtones I hear?) sampled instrumental which he proceeds to lace with a litany of his musical influences—everyone from D’Angelo and Rick James to Wiz Khalifa, Joni Mitchell and Maze. So, Booth readers, you know what’s coming up: is this your sh*t? Those leaning towards the affirmative should keep it locked for the latest news and tunes leading up to the yet-unscheduled release of Rashad’s latest project, Museum.
Written by richard on 06/23/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.