Back in July ‘08, Ras Kass made his DJBooth debut with B.I.B.L.E., a mixtape cut that took a critical beating not because of poor musical quality, but rather to the rapper’s Christian-baiting rhymes. A lot can change in a year, though; as indicated by Dutch R&B singer’s Neenah‘s rendition of Amazing Grace on the intro and chorus of this new cut (the second leak off the rapper’s forthcoming Quarterly mixtape), the street vet’s finally seen the light—of course, Kass hasn’t cast himself as the poor wretch in need of guidance, but as the Amazing guy bringing salvation to the game. Over Veterano‘s densely-layered mix of vocal samples and midtempo percussion, the rapper comes with plenty of irreverently clever nose-tweaking, this time tempering his messianic rhetoric with celebrity-directed wisecracks that walk the line between off-color and hilariously absurd (i.e., “I could moonwalk across the ocean, getting j*rked off by Lady GaGa, no lotion.”) Listeners who like their punchline lyricism witty and contentious are sure to enjoy this cut—if that’s the case, keep it locked to our front page for more on Quarterly, tentatively scheduled for release in Q3.
Written by richard on 07/7/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.