Back in July ‘08, Ras Kass made his DJBooth debut with B.I.B.L.E., a mixtape cut that took a critical beating not because of poor musical quality, but rather to the rapper’s Christian-baiting rhymes. A lot can change in a year, though; as indicated by Dutch R&B singer’s Neenah‘s rendition of Amazing Grace on the intro and chorus of this new cut (the second leak off the rapper’s forthcoming Quarterly mixtape), the street vet’s finally seen the light—of course, Kass hasn’t cast himself as the poor wretch in need of guidance, but as the Amazing guy bringing salvation to the game. Over Veterano‘s densely-layered mix of vocal samples and midtempo percussion, the rapper comes with plenty of irreverently clever nose-tweaking, this time tempering his messianic rhetoric with celebrity-directed wisecracks that walk the line between off-color and hilariously absurd (i.e., “I could moonwalk across the ocean, getting j*rked off by Lady GaGa, no lotion.”) Listeners who like their punchline lyricism witty and contentious are sure to enjoy this cut—if that’s the case, keep it locked to our front page for more on Quarterly, tentatively scheduled for release in Q3.
Written by richard on 07/7/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.