Not featured on the solo tip since hooking up with us to drop his Barmageddon album back in February, West Coast underground mainstay Ras Kass makes his grand re-entrance into the Booth with the world premiere of Champion, single number two off his next street release. As you’ve no doubt guessed from the title, this cut finds Ras gloating over his triumphs in the rap game, and lording his successes over the competition. Backed by the roiling synth arpeggios and trap-infused percussion of Doc Hollywood‘s Louie Rubio (his production partner throughout the project), the Watts native touts his Hall of Fame-worthy mic skills in characteristically intricate, allusive verses. Faty B imbues the record with a little dancehall flavor, contributing a gruff, improvised hook. Like what you’re hearing? Keep it locked; the Drop No Evil EP has yet to receive a solid release date but, as always, we’ll keep you supplied with the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 07/8/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.