Quick, someone get Ras Kass a calendar and remind him what year it is. His new single, a leak from his upcoming mixtape Endangered Lyricist Vol. 3, is called 90210 and features production that loops the infamous synth riff from the classic Eddie Murphy Beverly Hills Cop movie series. Then again, it could work in his favor to capitalize on the retro ‘80s throwback trend that’s prominent these days. It’s been a while since he’s released any new material, so a fresh but familiar approach might be the key to regaining relevance. On the mic Kass maintains his signature West Coast grizzly flow, which is refreshing because I’m sure there’s the temptation to conform to new styles. Doc Hollywood‘s production and hook do a great job of invoking the ubiquitous imagery of excess and decadence that Beverly Hills is known for, which provides a perfect backdrop for him and Rass Kass to rap about, well, excess and decadence. This is that white-suit-gold-chain-and-sunglasses theme music! No date yet for when Kass’ mixtape drops, but DJBooth will be the first to let you know when it becomes available.
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 06/28/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)