Quick, someone get Ras Kass a calendar and remind him what year it is. His new single, a leak from his upcoming mixtape Endangered Lyricist Vol. 3, is called 90210 and features production that loops the infamous synth riff from the classic Eddie Murphy Beverly Hills Cop movie series. Then again, it could work in his favor to capitalize on the retro ‘80s throwback trend that’s prominent these days. It’s been a while since he’s released any new material, so a fresh but familiar approach might be the key to regaining relevance. On the mic Kass maintains his signature West Coast grizzly flow, which is refreshing because I’m sure there’s the temptation to conform to new styles. Doc Hollywood‘s production and hook do a great job of invoking the ubiquitous imagery of excess and decadence that Beverly Hills is known for, which provides a perfect backdrop for him and Rass Kass to rap about, well, excess and decadence. This is that white-suit-gold-chain-and-sunglasses theme music! No date yet for when Kass’ mixtape drops, but DJBooth will be the first to let you know when it becomes available.
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 06/28/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.