Rapsody... Top Five, dead or alive? It might seem a little early to make that call, but think about it this way: if the North Carolina femcee doesn’t tell us so now, how will she be able to say “I told you so!” if/when she does enter the ranks of rap legendhood? 9th Wonder affiliate AMP, not to be confused with Amplive of Zion I fame, gets things bubbling on the production tip, layering effervescent synth flourishes over a languid rhythm section as the headliner stakes her claim on the game: “Rap? Yeah, she the future, generations ahead.” Never one to hog the spotlight, Rapsody recruits the guest services of two fellow future greats; King Mez is his usual lyrically agile self on a fresh middle verse and Laws locks up the “most left-field allusion of the day” competition in an entertaining closing 16 (”You ever seen that movie Kids? Well I’m kinda like Telly when he call for Darcy.”) Complete with a sampled chorus sampling cuts from two Lox members (Styles P‘s Going in for the Kill, Jadakiss’ Checkmate), this is just one of many fresh joints set for inclusion on Rap’s Thank H.E.R. Later LP, coming June 21. In them meantime, why not check out her Return of the B-Girl mixtape, downloadable here?
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Sparklin'" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.