Rapsody doesn’t need a DeLorean to travel back to 1996; simply throw on a boom-bap rhythm and the North Carolina spitter will find herself transported back to her hip-hop saturated youth. On The Drums, a new single off her recent, Booth-hosted street album, the Jamla signee tries to resurrect that golden age for the rest of us, reminiscing about the tunes that soundtracked her childhood over a throwback beat by label boss 9th Wonder, featuring live-band ensemble The Soul Council. Heather Victoria lends her breezy guest vocals to the chorus, and director Kenneth Price ties the package together with some fittingly nostalgic official visuals. Released back in August, Rap’s The Idea of Beautiful LP is available now for streaming and purchase in The DJBooth.
Written by richard on 11/2/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Sparklin'" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.