With the boom-bap inspired sound and tightly-wound mic approach that characterizes much of Rapsody‘s work, it’s easy to forget that her home state, North Carolina, is part of the Dirty South. Fresh off colliding with paradigmatic East Coast spitter Raekwon on Black Diamonds, the Kooley High femcee does a 180 on the new So Be It, showcasing her inner “country girl” alongside another Booth-approved Southerner. 9th Wonder mans the boards, flipping a sunny disco/soul sample from Tavares’ If That’s the Way That You Want It into an bass-bumping, syncopated groove as Rap laces the beat with memories of her small-town upbringing: “Our laces untied and untucked, they hang on the ground / Mama told me show respect, bless my food fore it’s downed, / Say ‘No sir’ or ‘Yes, no, ma’am when spoken to around town.” Fellow rural-dweller (and freestyle series alum) Big K.R.I.T. provides moral support on the guest tip, doing his best to “prove these city folk wrong” on the back. Craving more region-crossing bangers from Rapsody? Then drop whatever you’re doing and download a copy of Rapsody’s Booth-sponsored Thank H.E.R. Now street album, released to our mixtape page last week.
Written by richard on 06/29/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Sparklin'" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.