In light of the Rapsody‘s recent collaborations with the second most-blunted rapper in Pittsburgh (that’d be Mac Miller, for those not keeping score), you’d be forgiven for assuming that mixtape leak Hella High found the Kooley High femcee getting lifted on a certain leafy herb. On the contrary, though, the artist’s latest single makes manifestly clear that hip-hop is still her drug of choice. Not that she’d be bad if you lit one up while listening, of course. Here, Rap once again enlists the production services of fellow First in Flight State repper 9th Wonder, who serves up a dense, hazy sample collage of a beat (dig the Flexatone!) to back her as she pays tribute to dope rappers past and present. Along with such eminent names as Notorious B.I.G., the artist peppers her bars with references to fellow Booth-approved up-and-comers: “Wanna be hot like Nip / Hustle, bulge like muscle, to the homie Big K.R.I.T. / ReturnOf4Eva, North and South, musical high sh*t.” The perfect rejoinder to all who would claim our generation lacks rap talent and a dope listen in its own right, Hella High is just one of many quality cuts set for inclusion on Rapsody’s Thank H.E.R. Now mixtape, coming June 21.
Written by richard on 05/25/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"U Sparklin'" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.