Hey, Raphael Saadiq, the ‘60s called and they want their music back. The Grammy-winning singer/producer, who has always been known for his vintage tendencies, really kicks it old-school on his new single, Love That Girl. He takes a huge step backwards in time, past the throwback styles of Amy Winehouse and Duffy, and past the early-‘90s neo-soul trend, landing somewhere among the classic sounds of the Temptations and Smokey Robinson. The track may be labeled as “fresh audio”, but Saadiq would be the first to admit that there is nothing fresh about it. While most contemporary R&B fans may not go for it, the old and the old at heart certainly will. Love That Girl will be featured on Saadiq’s upcoming album, The Way I See It (Sept. 16).
Listen to More: Raphael Saadiq
Written by Charlie E. on 07/13/08
Columbia Records/Pookie Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Oh Girl (Remix) ft. Jay-Z" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)