Shampain and other previously-featured cuts off Ransom‘s recent collaborative LP with Statik Selektah have found the New Jersey rhymesayer showcasing the aggressive side of his flow whilst touting his street bona fides and letting loose at his foes in the game. So it may come as a little bit of a surprise to hear him settle into a little relaxed game-spitting on Jade, the project’s latest single. While he’s well aware of the incongruity (On the front, he admits, “Yeah I’ve been known to squeeze triggers, I’m all gully / So you should never believe n**gas who talk funny.”), his rough edges coexist with an undeniable talent for flirtation, as evidenced by his witty, innuendo-packed verses. Statik’s contribution to the jam, a soulful beat laced with chopped vocal samples, is no less irresistible. Rik Cordero and Three 21 Media double up to direct the low-key visuals. Feeling it? There’s plenty more where this came from on The Proposal, independently released in September.
Written by richard on 02/23/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.