I’m not going to lie. I expected a lot of things when I pressed play on Range’s new romantically titled, grammatically questionable single, B.Y.A. (Beautiful You Are), but a sample of Cypress Hill’s classic ruckus-causing anthem Insane in the Membrane wasn’t one of them. Wow. Give me a minute to let it sink in….ok, there, I’m good. Where were we? Ah yes, Range. The Roc Nation representer, previously seen doing a Ghetto Dance, first and foremost deserves credit for the beat, which flips the aforementioned sample into a horn infused party anthem that has easy appeal. Stepping out from behind the boards, Range steps from behind the boards to deliver an impressively smooth vocal performance. As always, sweet singing demands a contribution from the rap department and suddenly party-hungry emcee Wale kicks in with a flirting and strong 16. With an opening salvo like this there’s no telling what future music from Range will sound like – a Boogie Down Productions sample? – but with no release date or title for his EP in sight we’ll just have to wait and see what develops.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/2/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.