I’m not going to lie. I expected a lot of things when I pressed play on Range’s new romantically titled, grammatically questionable single, B.Y.A. (Beautiful You Are), but a sample of Cypress Hill’s classic ruckus-causing anthem Insane in the Membrane wasn’t one of them. Wow. Give me a minute to let it sink in….ok, there, I’m good. Where were we? Ah yes, Range. The Roc Nation representer, previously seen doing a Ghetto Dance, first and foremost deserves credit for the beat, which flips the aforementioned sample into a horn infused party anthem that has easy appeal. Stepping out from behind the boards, Range steps from behind the boards to deliver an impressively smooth vocal performance. As always, sweet singing demands a contribution from the rap department and suddenly party-hungry emcee Wale kicks in with a flirting and strong 16. With an opening salvo like this there’s no telling what future music from Range will sound like – a Boogie Down Productions sample? – but with no release date or title for his EP in sight we’ll just have to wait and see what develops.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/2/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.