I’m not going to lie. I expected a lot of things when I pressed play on Range’s new romantically titled, grammatically questionable single, B.Y.A. (Beautiful You Are), but a sample of Cypress Hill’s classic ruckus-causing anthem Insane in the Membrane wasn’t one of them. Wow. Give me a minute to let it sink in….ok, there, I’m good. Where were we? Ah yes, Range. The Roc Nation representer, previously seen doing a Ghetto Dance, first and foremost deserves credit for the beat, which flips the aforementioned sample into a horn infused party anthem that has easy appeal. Stepping out from behind the boards, Range steps from behind the boards to deliver an impressively smooth vocal performance. As always, sweet singing demands a contribution from the rap department and suddenly party-hungry emcee Wale kicks in with a flirting and strong 16. With an opening salvo like this there’s no telling what future music from Range will sound like – a Boogie Down Productions sample? – but with no release date or title for his EP in sight we’ll just have to wait and see what develops.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/2/11
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.