Nothing beats the feeling of hearing a master emcee tear up the mic and, though rap legend Rakim‘s third solo album fell short of the transcendent experience many were hoping for, its best tracks still packed that “natural high” only authentic, uncut hip-hop can deliver. Those who registered their copy of the LP online got an extra dose of musical goodness for their trouble: aptly-named bonus cut Euphoria, which finds the “God Emcee” joined by three fellow NYC vets. The headliner handles the opening verse, paying tribute to the birthplace of hip-hop over Ty Fyffe‘s organ chords and staticky synth-bass bursts. Next up to the mic are two-thirds of D-Block; Styles P admits that, “If it weren’t for rap, my life would be a mess,” while Jadakiss admonishes undiscriminating listeners, spitting “The music y’all n*ggas think is knockin’ is disgusting.” Busta Rhymes rounds out this cut’s all-star lineup, running with the “hip-hop = drugs” metaphor in ominous, deadpan monotone. Topped off with a hook by Big Apple DJ/producer Cocoa Chanelle, this cut is as addictive as its lyrical theme implies. If you like what you’re hearing, you can find plenty more on The Seventh Seal, out now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 12/20/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"(Classic) Better Than I've Ever Been (Remix)" (2007)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)