Nothing beats the feeling of hearing a master emcee tear up the mic and, though rap legend Rakim‘s third solo album fell short of the transcendent experience many were hoping for, its best tracks still packed that “natural high” only authentic, uncut hip-hop can deliver. Those who registered their copy of the LP online got an extra dose of musical goodness for their trouble: aptly-named bonus cut Euphoria, which finds the “God Emcee” joined by three fellow NYC vets. The headliner handles the opening verse, paying tribute to the birthplace of hip-hop over Ty Fyffe‘s organ chords and staticky synth-bass bursts. Next up to the mic are two-thirds of D-Block; Styles P admits that, “If it weren’t for rap, my life would be a mess,” while Jadakiss admonishes undiscriminating listeners, spitting “The music y’all n*ggas think is knockin’ is disgusting.” Busta Rhymes rounds out this cut’s all-star lineup, running with the “hip-hop = drugs” metaphor in ominous, deadpan monotone. Topped off with a hook by Big Apple DJ/producer Cocoa Chanelle, this cut is as addictive as its lyrical theme implies. If you like what you’re hearing, you can find plenty more on The Seventh Seal, out now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 12/20/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"(Classic) Better Than I've Ever Been (Remix)" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.