Nothing beats the feeling of hearing a master emcee tear up the mic and, though rap legend Rakim‘s third solo album fell short of the transcendent experience many were hoping for, its best tracks still packed that “natural high” only authentic, uncut hip-hop can deliver. Those who registered their copy of the LP online got an extra dose of musical goodness for their trouble: aptly-named bonus cut Euphoria, which finds the “God Emcee” joined by three fellow NYC vets. The headliner handles the opening verse, paying tribute to the birthplace of hip-hop over Ty Fyffe‘s organ chords and staticky synth-bass bursts. Next up to the mic are two-thirds of D-Block; Styles P admits that, “If it weren’t for rap, my life would be a mess,” while Jadakiss admonishes undiscriminating listeners, spitting “The music y’all n*ggas think is knockin’ is disgusting.” Busta Rhymes rounds out this cut’s all-star lineup, running with the “hip-hop = drugs” metaphor in ominous, deadpan monotone. Topped off with a hook by Big Apple DJ/producer Cocoa Chanelle, this cut is as addictive as its lyrical theme implies. If you like what you’re hearing, you can find plenty more on The Seventh Seal, out now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 12/20/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"(Classic) Better Than I've Ever Been (Remix)" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.