With his DJBooth-sponsored project right around the corner, Rain comes through once more to give us a taste of the album’s quality sound. The latest premiere, Time Flies, is a smoothed out record that Rain spits very comfortably on. Reminiscing about the past while enjoying his present lifestyle, the North Carolina emcee spits genuine, from the heart bars - but doesn’t overwhelm you with them: “We slide through the block party, where the women went? / Givin ones to the kids, let ‘em live a bit.” Skillfully, he showcases a balance that allows you to focus on the lyrics while still being able to groove to the beat. Speaking of the instrumental, which is also handled by Rain, it may just be the best part of the track; the sample driven production lulls the listener into a place of tranquility. Cuts like this are the reason I’m looking forward to July 21, when Rain finally drops his project American Dreamin’ (Pt. 3). But what can I say? I’m a sucker for artists who write and produce their own material.
Written by Jon Garcia on 07/19/10
Submit your Rating
First In Flight
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.