Anyone who’s listened to a minute or more of Rain‘s work is aware that the North Carolina up-and-comer’s determination to succeed knows no bounds, but the question remains: what precisely is it that keeps him on his ceaseless grind? On Tears of a Man, the third of five Booth-exclusive world premieres off his forthcoming mixtape, the artist gives us the beginning of an answer: having come up in the midst of poverty and adversity, he’s seen firsthand just how quickly your luck can turn sour if you don’t keep your eye on the prize at all times (“Every day I’ve been fearin’ that I’ll grow up to be that man with that dingy brown wool coat…”) The artist’s tragic character sketches, backed by beatsmith Nide‘s appropriately mournful mix of guitar arpeggios and string ambiance, make for a track that’s far from easy listening, but those who can find catharsis in bleak subject matter are sure to appreciate what Rain brings to the table. Fans will be able to find this reflective joint, along with plenty of lighter fare, on the Booth-sponsored American Dreamin’ (Pt. 3), set to hit our mixtape page July 21.
Written by richard on 07/14/10
Submit your Rating
First In Flight
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.