Anyone who’s listened to a minute or more of Rain‘s work is aware that the North Carolina up-and-comer’s determination to succeed knows no bounds, but the question remains: what precisely is it that keeps him on his ceaseless grind? On Tears of a Man, the third of five Booth-exclusive world premieres off his forthcoming mixtape, the artist gives us the beginning of an answer: having come up in the midst of poverty and adversity, he’s seen firsthand just how quickly your luck can turn sour if you don’t keep your eye on the prize at all times (“Every day I’ve been fearin’ that I’ll grow up to be that man with that dingy brown wool coat…”) The artist’s tragic character sketches, backed by beatsmith Nide‘s appropriately mournful mix of guitar arpeggios and string ambiance, make for a track that’s far from easy listening, but those who can find catharsis in bleak subject matter are sure to appreciate what Rain brings to the table. Fans will be able to find this reflective joint, along with plenty of lighter fare, on the Booth-sponsored American Dreamin’ (Pt. 3), set to hit our mixtape page July 21.
Written by richard on 07/14/10
First In Flight
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.