There’s no such thing as an pleasant breakup… well, except in the rare cases in which the guy or girl in question made your life such a living hell that, when you finally work up the nerve to kick him or her to the curb, it’s an absolute joy. Such was evidently the case for Detroit singer/songwriter Rai Knight, who takes her latest mixtape single – a remake of/response to hometown fave Black Milk‘s cut of the same title – as an opportunity to inform her ex that life “Without U” is, well, f*cking fantastic. Zach Shipps creatively reimagines the ‘08 joint’s original boardwork, blending 8-bit synths with 6/8 percussion as the Booth newcomer delivers a triumphant rundown of the B.S. she no longer has to deal with on the daily: broken promises, childish fits and teary apologies, sh*t-talking… and the list goes on. And in case the man in question didn’t get the message, she concludes with the polite request that he “Don’t call, don’t write, don’t do nothin’.” Does this creative kiss-off leave you wondering what else Knight might have up her sleeve? Then keep it locked for release details on her Self Portrait street album, due out later this year.
Written by richard on 03/8/11
Submit your Rating
FrontStreet Records LLC
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What I Never Told You" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.