There’s no such thing as an pleasant breakup… well, except in the rare cases in which the guy or girl in question made your life such a living hell that, when you finally work up the nerve to kick him or her to the curb, it’s an absolute joy. Such was evidently the case for Detroit singer/songwriter Rai Knight, who takes her latest mixtape single – a remake of/response to hometown fave Black Milk‘s cut of the same title – as an opportunity to inform her ex that life “Without U” is, well, f*cking fantastic. Zach Shipps creatively reimagines the ‘08 joint’s original boardwork, blending 8-bit synths with 6/8 percussion as the Booth newcomer delivers a triumphant rundown of the B.S. she no longer has to deal with on the daily: broken promises, childish fits and teary apologies, sh*t-talking… and the list goes on. And in case the man in question didn’t get the message, she concludes with the polite request that he “Don’t call, don’t write, don’t do nothin’.” Does this creative kiss-off leave you wondering what else Knight might have up her sleeve? Then keep it locked for release details on her Self Portrait street album, due out later this year.
Written by richard on 03/8/11
Submit your Rating
FrontStreet Records LLC
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What I Never Told You" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label