There’s no such thing as an pleasant breakup… well, except in the rare cases in which the guy or girl in question made your life such a living hell that, when you finally work up the nerve to kick him or her to the curb, it’s an absolute joy. Such was evidently the case for Detroit singer/songwriter Rai Knight, who takes her latest mixtape single – a remake of/response to hometown fave Black Milk‘s cut of the same title – as an opportunity to inform her ex that life “Without U” is, well, f*cking fantastic. Zach Shipps creatively reimagines the ‘08 joint’s original boardwork, blending 8-bit synths with 6/8 percussion as the Booth newcomer delivers a triumphant rundown of the B.S. she no longer has to deal with on the daily: broken promises, childish fits and teary apologies, sh*t-talking… and the list goes on. And in case the man in question didn’t get the message, she concludes with the polite request that he “Don’t call, don’t write, don’t do nothin’.” Does this creative kiss-off leave you wondering what else Knight might have up her sleeve? Then keep it locked for release details on her Self Portrait street album, due out later this year.
Written by richard on 03/8/11
Submit your Rating
FrontStreet Records LLC
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What I Never Told You" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.