Could it be true? Has it really been coming up on two years since we last heard a headlining single from Raheem Devaughn? To answer my own rhetorical question yes, Devaughn’s 2010 offering She’s Single was the last time the DMV crooner grabbed the spotlight on our pages. But what better time for a return than with a track like Be the One, just days before Valentine’s Day? (That was another rhetorical question.) Producer Mark Henry delivers and then some on the beat, crafting a lush and luxurious beat built around a string section that simply screams romance. It’s a beat backdrop Raheem was born to sing over and sure enough he lays down some silky smooth promises to the woman of his dreams: not only will be cook and clean, he’ll break out that Black Card upon request. In fact, his delivery is so convincing that he even convinces Snoop Dogg to put aside his usually pimpin ways in favor of some outright romance himself. Devaughn’s comeback (that is, if he ever really left) kicks off in earnest when his Destination Loveland EP drops, you guessed it, February 14.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/12/12
Submit your Rating
368 Music Group/Mass Appeal Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.