Could it be true? Has it really been coming up on two years since we last heard a headlining single from Raheem Devaughn? To answer my own rhetorical question yes, Devaughn’s 2010 offering She’s Single was the last time the DMV crooner grabbed the spotlight on our pages. But what better time for a return than with a track like Be the One, just days before Valentine’s Day? (That was another rhetorical question.) Producer Mark Henry delivers and then some on the beat, crafting a lush and luxurious beat built around a string section that simply screams romance. It’s a beat backdrop Raheem was born to sing over and sure enough he lays down some silky smooth promises to the woman of his dreams: not only will be cook and clean, he’ll break out that Black Card upon request. In fact, his delivery is so convincing that he even convinces Snoop Dogg to put aside his usually pimpin ways in favor of some outright romance himself. Devaughn’s comeback (that is, if he ever really left) kicks off in earnest when his Destination Loveland EP drops, you guessed it, February 14.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/12/12
Submit your Rating
368 Music Group/Mass Appeal Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.