Could it be true? Has it really been coming up on two years since we last heard a headlining single from Raheem Devaughn? To answer my own rhetorical question yes, Devaughn’s 2010 offering She’s Single was the last time the DMV crooner grabbed the spotlight on our pages. But what better time for a return than with a track like Be the One, just days before Valentine’s Day? (That was another rhetorical question.) Producer Mark Henry delivers and then some on the beat, crafting a lush and luxurious beat built around a string section that simply screams romance. It’s a beat backdrop Raheem was born to sing over and sure enough he lays down some silky smooth promises to the woman of his dreams: not only will be cook and clean, he’ll break out that Black Card upon request. In fact, his delivery is so convincing that he even convinces Snoop Dogg to put aside his usually pimpin ways in favor of some outright romance himself. Devaughn’s comeback (that is, if he ever really left) kicks off in earnest when his Destination Loveland EP drops, you guessed it, February 14.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/12/12
368 Music Group/Mass Appeal Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)