A standout track off ‘09 Wu-Tang compilation Chamber Music, Ill Figures found Raekwon sharing the mic with three fellow pioneers of the Northeastern gangsta/hardcore style: Brownsville, Brooklyn-repping duo M.O.P. and Corona, Queens veteran Kool G Rap. Today, the star-studded banger gets a production makeover courtesy of Andrew Kelley, the beatsmith who put his spin on the Re-Up Gang‘s The Raw Is Back last summer. Part of a never-completed mixtape project created in conjunction with the Chef’s management (read the full story here), this freshly-released remix (a Booth-exclusive world premiere) finds Kelley trading Fizzy Womack and Josh Werner‘s boom-bap boardwork for something a touch more aggressive, centering his bass-led groove around a sample from dancehall hitmaker Yellowman’s Nobody Move, Nobody Get Hurt (also famously flipped by Eazy-E). The result is a laid-back yet driving revamp that does ample justice to the original—or have I got it twisted? If you agree with my assessment, there’s more to come; Kelley’s unfinished Dope on the Table tape will be released as a Booth-exclusive, seven-song EP on December 1.
Written by richard on 11/21/11
Submit your Rating
Ice H20 Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hip Hop Tribute" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.