A standout track off ‘09 Wu-Tang compilation Chamber Music, Ill Figures found Raekwon sharing the mic with three fellow pioneers of the Northeastern gangsta/hardcore style: Brownsville, Brooklyn-repping duo M.O.P. and Corona, Queens veteran Kool G Rap. Today, the star-studded banger gets a production makeover courtesy of Andrew Kelley, the beatsmith who put his spin on the Re-Up Gang‘s The Raw Is Back last summer. Part of a never-completed mixtape project created in conjunction with the Chef’s management (read the full story here), this freshly-released remix (a Booth-exclusive world premiere) finds Kelley trading Fizzy Womack and Josh Werner‘s boom-bap boardwork for something a touch more aggressive, centering his bass-led groove around a sample from dancehall hitmaker Yellowman’s Nobody Move, Nobody Get Hurt (also famously flipped by Eazy-E). The result is a laid-back yet driving revamp that does ample justice to the original—or have I got it twisted? If you agree with my assessment, there’s more to come; Kelley’s unfinished Dope on the Table tape will be released as a Booth-exclusive, seven-song EP on December 1.
Written by richard on 11/21/11
Submit your Rating
Ice H20 Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hip Hop Tribute" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.