At first blush, a laid-back political radical sounds like as much of a contradiction-in-terms as a square circle, or a lyrical Waka Flocka joint. Radical Something, however, are living proof that they do exist. On new promo single Escape, Cali natives Loggy, Josh Cocktail and DJ Big Red demonstrate that they’re as committed to fighting the imperialist war machine as they are to crafting sun-kissed, beach-ready grooves. With the group’s breezy, reggae-accented guitar-percussion instrumental rolling along in the background, the crew’s vocal contingent drop verses that cut a touch deeper than those of your average warm-weather banger: “America’s got blood on its hands, and we scramble goin’ Rambo to accumulate land… it doesn’t really seem like the right’s in command.” Complete with Cocktail’s singalong hook vocals (anyone else hear a little of the Five Staristeps’ Ooh Baby in there?), this cut is a catchy summer jam for the thinking man—or is it a thinking jam for the summer man? Whichever way you look at it, you’ll want to keep it locked for all the latest from this promising trio.
Written by richard on 06/29/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Be Easy" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.