When you think about classical performers like Mozart, an artist like R.A. The Rugged Man probably does not come to mind. His grimy persona and even grimier flow wouldn’t go over well in Mozart’s refined, sophisticated society. However, on R.A.’s latest, Underground Hits, the two could not sound more in sync; consider them the epitome of strange bedfellows. Producer Will Tell perfectly samples Mozart’s classic, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, giving it an energetic remix of sorts that serves as a nice juxtaposition to Rugged Man’s inappropriately colorful bars and breakneck, hostile flow. Guest Hopsin shows how refined he can be (not very) with a subsequent 16, which is highlighted by his demonstrative approach and equally as brash lyrics. If you think Underground Hits is indeed an underground hit, than you should scoop up a copy of R.A.‘s forthcoming album Legends Never Die, out April 30.
Written by Lucas G. on 04/26/13
Veteran emcee R.A. The Rugged Man last released an album on November 16, 2004. Since then a black president has been elected (and re-elected) to office, Apple created the iPhone and D4L became a one-hit wonder with Laffy...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Thelonius King" (2013)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)