Succeeding in a city as packed with A-list talent as the Chi is no easy task, but up-and-coming rapper R.O.E. (Rising Over Envy) has no doubt that his tenacity will take him straight to the top – in other words, he’s not planning on putting The Gloves down anytime soon. On his latest single (and first feature), the emcee introduces himself to his soon-to-be fans in the Booth, showcasing his formidable “balance of smart and talent,” as he looks back on his past accomplishments and waxes ambitious about his bright future. A fellow Windy City up-and-comer, Chris Mathien, does double-duty on the mic and behind the boards, summing the headliner’s sentiments up with a soulful chorus and tying the cut together with a quietly intense chopped-sample instrumental. With a retro-informed sound and rhymes as fresh as fine caviar (‘roe,’ fish eggs, get it?) this passionate newcomer’s sure to win plenty of acclaim from our regulars. If you like what you’re hearing, grab a copy of his Rock the Dub-presented debut EP, A Pen. A Mic. A Dream., when it drops in January 2010.
Written by richard on 11/8/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.