It’s been a minute since we’ve featured any election-themed records, so our regulars could be forgiven for thinking that artists had taken a break from Baracking the mic (at least until Inauguration Day). There is, however, one Chitown superstar who we haven’t yet heard from regarding Obama’s historic victory. Give up? It’s R. Kelly, who’s back in the Booth with the anthemic I Believe. Written on Election Night, this soulful, self-produced cut kicks off with a sample of our President-Elect’s post-Iowa Caucus victory speech, which gives way to a subdued, choir-backed beat as the R&B singer professes his belief that Obama will fulfill his promise to bring change to America. There has been no word thus far as to whether this promo single, released earlier this week, will make it onto Kelly’s long-delayed tenth album, 12 Play: Fourth Quarter, which has yet to receive a drop date from Jive. While R. Kelly may not actually be able to fly, there’s a good chance that the beliefs he expresses in this song will hold true in the years ahead.
Written by richard on 12/17/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Thats That ft. R. Kelly" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.