Sex sells, particularly when you’re looking to write a Number One hit single; of course, no one knows this better than R. Kelly, a singer who seems to consider lovemaking and hitmaking to be two sides of the same coin. On Kells’ latest single (personally delivered to the Booth, sans tags, by DJ Skee), the Chi-town vet teams up with Keri Hilson to blur the line between his two favorite activities.
Polow Da Don
RiffRaph & Roy “Royalty” Hamilton‘s mellow instrumental, driven by acoustic guitar arpeggios and handclap percussion, sticks close to the slow-jam blueprint, but boasts a few unique twists sure to help the cut live up to its name; the double-time passages on the tail end of each verse provide an infectiously energetic transition into the ultra-catchy chopped-n-screwed chorus. Above all, Number One makes one thing abundantly clear: after over a decade in the game, R. Kelly still loves his job—really, really loves it. That can only mean good things for his forthcoming, currently-untitled ninth LP, which has receive a solid release date from the Jive brass.
Written by richard on 06/21/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Thats That Sh*t" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.