Sex sells, particularly when you’re looking to write a Number One hit single; of course, no one knows this better than R. Kelly, a singer who seems to consider lovemaking and hitmaking to be two sides of the same coin. On Kells’ latest single (personally delivered to the Booth, sans tags, by DJ Skee), the Chi-town vet teams up with Keri Hilson to blur the line between his two favorite activities.
Polow Da Don
RiffRaph & Roy “Royalty” Hamilton‘s mellow instrumental, driven by acoustic guitar arpeggios and handclap percussion, sticks close to the slow-jam blueprint, but boasts a few unique twists sure to help the cut live up to its name; the double-time passages on the tail end of each verse provide an infectiously energetic transition into the ultra-catchy chopped-n-screwed chorus. Above all, Number One makes one thing abundantly clear: after over a decade in the game, R. Kelly still loves his job—really, really loves it. That can only mean good things for his forthcoming, currently-untitled ninth LP, which has receive a solid release date from the Jive brass.
Written by richard on 06/21/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Thats That Sh*t" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)