Usually when we think of people speaking in tongues we imagine a parishioner catching the holy spirit in church. However, R&B veteran R. Kelly, with the help of Ludacris, have somehow managed to take the term and use it to describe their sexual prowess. Ten seconds into Tongues and it’s obvious Kels is intent on bringing us a club record, but is it good enough to bang at your local hot spot? The production from Bangladesh is what you’d expect from the man: a two bar sample on repeat the whole time and heavily pounding percussion. It may not be as simplistic as his previous works like A Milli, but it’s still pretty simple. On the mic Ludacris throws in a nice verse full of his typical bedroom bragging, and on the vocal side Kels once again proves that, no matter how old he gets, he can still put together a catchy melody with the best of them. If I’m the only one who find the sample annoying and Tongues becomes a hit, we’ll be hearing Kelly’s upcoming and currently unscheduled new album Zodiac sooner rather than later.
Written by JRTheWriter on 07/15/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Thats That ft. R. Kelly" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.