Usually when we think of people speaking in tongues we imagine a parishioner catching the holy spirit in church. However, R&B veteran R. Kelly, with the help of Ludacris, have somehow managed to take the term and use it to describe their sexual prowess. Ten seconds into Tongues and it’s obvious Kels is intent on bringing us a club record, but is it good enough to bang at your local hot spot? The production from Bangladesh is what you’d expect from the man: a two bar sample on repeat the whole time and heavily pounding percussion. It may not be as simplistic as his previous works like A Milli, but it’s still pretty simple. On the mic Ludacris throws in a nice verse full of his typical bedroom bragging, and on the vocal side Kels once again proves that, no matter how old he gets, he can still put together a catchy melody with the best of them. If I’m the only one who find the sample annoying and Tongues becomes a hit, we’ll be hearing Kelly’s upcoming and currently unscheduled new album Zodiac sooner rather than later.
Written by JRTheWriter on 07/15/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Thats That Sh*t" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.