R. Kelly has based an impressive 22 year music career on smooth melodies, sensual swag, and iconic R&B music, but emergency tonsil surgery had the singer fearing the end of his career. Rest easy Kells fans, his first post-surgery single, Shut Up, is an angry ode to the haters and critics who doubted his return to the R&B throne. The self-produced beat is simple, with just an electric piano and hand clapping accompanying Mr. Kelly’s words, making the listener focus on what’s being said. There is a slight echo throughout the cut which was most likely included to help R.Kelly ease back into his singing, but it doesn’t take away from the emotion and anger behind his words. The lyrics sound like they’re taken straight from a page of his hospital bed diary, where he vents, “Now seriously, after all these hits, and melodies, and memories, you compare me to someone else? OMG.” So to all the haters who doubted Kelly’s strength and resilience as an artist, do us all a favor: Shut Up. Maybe any remaining doubters will be silenced when the Chicago native’s upcoming album, Black Panties, drops (pun intended) in 2012.
Written by Aisha Khan on 11/10/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Thats That ft. R. Kelly" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)