R. Kelly has based an impressive 22 year music career on smooth melodies, sensual swag, and iconic R&B music, but emergency tonsil surgery had the singer fearing the end of his career. Rest easy Kells fans, his first post-surgery single, Shut Up, is an angry ode to the haters and critics who doubted his return to the R&B throne. The self-produced beat is simple, with just an electric piano and hand clapping accompanying Mr. Kelly’s words, making the listener focus on what’s being said. There is a slight echo throughout the cut which was most likely included to help R.Kelly ease back into his singing, but it doesn’t take away from the emotion and anger behind his words. The lyrics sound like they’re taken straight from a page of his hospital bed diary, where he vents, “Now seriously, after all these hits, and melodies, and memories, you compare me to someone else? OMG.” So to all the haters who doubted Kelly’s strength and resilience as an artist, do us all a favor: Shut Up. Maybe any remaining doubters will be silenced when the Chicago native’s upcoming album, Black Panties, drops (pun intended) in 2012.
Written by Aisha Khan on 11/10/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Thats That Sh*t" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.