R. Kelly has based an impressive 22 year music career on smooth melodies, sensual swag, and iconic R&B music, but emergency tonsil surgery had the singer fearing the end of his career. Rest easy Kells fans, his first post-surgery single, Shut Up, is an angry ode to the haters and critics who doubted his return to the R&B throne. The self-produced beat is simple, with just an electric piano and hand clapping accompanying Mr. Kelly’s words, making the listener focus on what’s being said. There is a slight echo throughout the cut which was most likely included to help R.Kelly ease back into his singing, but it doesn’t take away from the emotion and anger behind his words. The lyrics sound like they’re taken straight from a page of his hospital bed diary, where he vents, “Now seriously, after all these hits, and melodies, and memories, you compare me to someone else? OMG.” So to all the haters who doubted Kelly’s strength and resilience as an artist, do us all a favor: Shut Up. Maybe any remaining doubters will be silenced when the Chicago native’s upcoming album, Black Panties, drops (pun intended) in 2012.
Written by Aisha Khan on 11/10/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Thats That ft. R. Kelly" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.