Who knows if R. Kelly is feeling Trey Songz’ challenge to his throne, but either way the Pied Piper has emerged with new music to re-assert his place in the royal chambers of R&B. Title track and new single, Love Letter, brings simple, heartfelt lyrics and evocative harp strings to the table, cooked up by Kells himself, bursting with enough rich notes to serve as an early Thanksgiving feast. On the mic you never know what you’re going to get with Kelly. The same man who wrote the eminently shallow Feelin’ on Your Booty penned I Believe I Can Fly, but it doesn’t take long to realize that Love Letter is much more the latter. Lyrically, Kelly stays in the deep end of the pool, writing nothing but purely romantic sentiments befitting the title, while vocally he’s as smooth and grown man sexy as possible, turning out candlelit melody after melody. If you just can’t get enough, check out this song’s holiday remix, A Love Letter Christmas, out now, as well as Robert Sylvester’s upcoming album, Love Letter, arriving December 14, just in time for present buying season.
Listen to More: R. Kelly Written by Stephanie Vaughn
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Thats That ft. R. Kelly" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.