Though gangsta rap is packed with daring heists, hits and shootouts, the fact of the matter is that an enterprising G who decides to act like an action-movie hero is destined to find himself outlined in chalk sooner than later. To maintain an illicit hustle in an environment as treacherous as today’s inner-city hoods, you’ve gotta be Cautious. On the latest single off Quite Nyce‘s forthcoming, DJBooth-sponsored EP, featured along with a Goldminers-directed video originally released in February, the Massachusetts emcee offers us a crash course in street survival. His collaborators throughout the project, Swiss beat crew The Soulslicers take a appropriately understated approach on the production tip, serving up a tense, piano-laced boom-bap rhythm to back Nyce outlines the perils that await those who fail to keep their activities on the down-low. Paranoid? Perhaps. But when everyone really is out for your money and/or life, paranoia’s just good sense. Packing a potent combo of throwback grooves and streetwise savoir-faire, Cautious is just one of many quality jams slated for inclusion on the artist’s EP of the same title, set to hit our mixtape page June 13 for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 05/31/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"This Is My Life" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.