When you’ve been around as long as Quincy Jones and influenced as many careers with your creative genius, you get to a point where it’s OK to sit back and let others pay tribute to your accomplishments. Thus, we have the guest-heavy Q: Soul Bossa Nostra on deck, with updated renderings of Jones’ most memorable works. The theme to Sanford and Son gets a makeover courtesy of T.I., B.o.B., Prince Charlez and Mohombi, and there’s no skimping on emcee bravado or Auto-Tune in the hook. The rustic bounce from the harp, sax and guitar playfully bantering on the original is nearly blotted out by airy synth melodies and 808 kicks. In fact, Sanford and Son ends up sounding so much like T.I.‘s Live Your Life that you half expect to hear Rihanna singing “Ayyye-ayyyye-ayyyye.” T.I. and B.o.B. deliver solid verses, and Mohombi excels on the bridge, but the song is driven by Charlez’ silky hook. Originally set for release this past spring, Q: Soul Bossa Nostra is set to drop next week, November 9. Congrats to “Uncle Q” on his expansive career and a legacy of phenomenal music that is truly timeless.
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 11/2/10
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)