Loyal Booth readers are undoubtedly familiar with Strange Music, Tech N9ne’s long running, highly-successful indie label, who has long been bringing us dope music. I suspect it won’t be long until Booth newcomer Quills too is part of that quality crew. While he has no connection to the label now, the sound and skill he showcases on new promo single and EP title track Dreamcatcher would make him a perfect addition to their roster. Producer Fresh Kils’ minimalist, ominous boardwork gets the mysterious, dark cut started off on the right foot. Quills, a Montreal native, takes an introspective approach to his bars, exhibiting a tense, boisterous flow that would likely bring a tear to Tech’s eye (hopefully it won’t smear his face paint). Dreamcatcher (the EP) is set to drop this fall, but with a Booth debut this strong, I am sure we will see Quills well before the leaves change color.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down (for mobile) to view Quills’ Jeremy Shantz-directed Dreamcatcher visual.
Written by Lucas G. on 09/24/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.