He may be a bit overlooked overall in the national hip-hop scene, but on the left coast DJ Quik is a legend. His 1991 debut (Quik Is the Name) still gets burn in Los Angeles neighborhoods and select radio stations to this day. So when then Compton native announced the release of his new album, fans couldn’t help but be excited - Detox or no Detox. And with the release of his new single, Real Women, our anticipation is reaffirmed. Quik laces the production with steady, heavy thumps combined with a light melody and the occasional turntable cut that keeps the song true to the name, and will still have heads bouncing; not an easy feat. Guest Jon B, who’s also been flying below the radar lately, shines on the hook, and per usual Quik spits down to Earth rhymes about his love for the women who are really real. Plus, did I mention his production is out of this world? Solidified bangers like these are the reason. The Book of David will be heavily sought after this month when it drops on April 20.
Written by Jon Garcia on 04/3/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Luv of My Life" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.