He may be a bit overlooked overall in the national hip-hop scene, but on the left coast DJ Quik is a legend. His 1991 debut (Quik Is the Name) still gets burn in Los Angeles neighborhoods and select radio stations to this day. So when then Compton native announced the release of his new album, fans couldn’t help but be excited - Detox or no Detox. And with the release of his new single, Real Women, our anticipation is reaffirmed. Quik laces the production with steady, heavy thumps combined with a light melody and the occasional turntable cut that keeps the song true to the name, and will still have heads bouncing; not an easy feat. Guest Jon B, who’s also been flying below the radar lately, shines on the hook, and per usual Quik spits down to Earth rhymes about his love for the women who are really real. Plus, did I mention his production is out of this world? Solidified bangers like these are the reason. The Book of David will be heavily sought after this month when it drops on April 20.
Written by Jon Garcia on 04/3/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Luv of My Life" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)