Attention, fellas: if you happen to be assembling a playlist to set the mood for a Valentine’s Day evening with your significant other, don’t just glance at the title and throw DJ Quik‘s new single, Luv of My Life, into the mix – it might give her her the wrong impression. You see, the Compton veteran is most emphatically not looking to get wifed up. Instead, this joint finds him and Booth newcomer Gift Reynolds waxing poetic about a few of their favorite things: cash, liquor, whips, no-strings-attached booty, you get the picture. Though the subject matter may not scream “romantic,” Quik’s laid-back synth-bass instrumental makes for perfect chill-out material, and the collaborators’ luxurious stunting is nothing if not entertaining: “Orange bottle champagne, teal, green blue / Clicquot in y’all Perignon, weed too.” Find yourself nodding along to this breezy West Coast banger? Then you’ll undoubtedly dig the rest of what Quik’s cooked up for his latest full-length, The Book of David, scheduled to hit store shelves and online retailers– drumroll, please…April 20.
Written by richard on 02/2/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Real Women" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.