Hm… nah, too corny. I’ll refrain from the obvious joke just this once, since it’d be a shame to tarnish a record as inspiring as Question?‘s latest mixtape leak – an exclusive world premiere, no less – by making the utterly lame observation that the cut finds the San Antonio rapper doing exactly what it says in his stage name. I just did? My bad. Fortunately, my wackness should only make Wonder Where You Are seem even fresher and more insightful by comparison. Here, a piano-led, Chipmunk-sampled beat by J. Jones sets the stage for a thorough rhetorical questioning of both the hip-hop game and society as a whole. After asking who will step up to the plate and rescue the ailing music industry, the freestyle series alum broadens his focus to the field of civil rights, calling for a new generation of Malcolm X’s, Martin Luther Kings, Marcus Garveys, and Harvey Milks as well as Steve Rifkinds, Rick Rubins, Goodie Mobs and Janis Joplins. All that, without sounding preachy in the slightest. For more food for thought, as well as plenty of straight-up bangers, check out The Question? Remains when it drops in December via DJBooth.net.
Written by richard on 11/22/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Intoxicated ft. Eddie B" (2008)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.