To those lucky enough to live in relative safety (myself included), the poker-faced, often bravado-laden manner in which many hip-hop artists approach the topic of violent crime can be seen as trivializing an all-too-serious topic—in truth, of course, that cold-eyed outlook is a natural, if somewhat tragic, response to life in an area where shooting deaths are commonplace. If you need a reminder of how absolutely terrifying firearms can be, take a listen to Question?‘s latest feature; making its exclusive world premiere here in the Booth, Me and a Gun finds the San Antonio up-and-comer describing how quickly a liquor-soaked night on the town can turn treacherous when deadly weapons are involved. Centered around a pitch-shifted sample from Tori Amos’ cut of the same name, J.R. Rotem‘s piano-driven instrumental leaves the focus on Question?‘s chilling narrative—the end result is a lyrically vivid, bracingly real cut that provides plenty of food for thought. Question?‘s Is It Cuz I’m White mixtape is set to drop “soon;” fans should keep it locked to the Booth for two more exclusive premieres in the next two weeks.
Written by richard on 06/14/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Intoxicated ft. Eddie B" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.