Question?‘s Booth history reads a little like an after-school special played in reverse: seriously strung-out emcee stumbles onto our front page, bleary-eyed and obviously Intoxicated, then starts hanging with the 420 crowd and experimenting with marijuana, and then undergoes a sudden transformation into a straight-A storyteller. Not that his drug jams weren’t dope (pun intended), but the San Antonio native didn’t take long to come into his own as one hell of a lyrical talent. The second of three exclusive world premieres, She’s Alive features some of Question?‘s deepest rhymes to date. Over a subdued, Sade-sampling beat by Shuko, the rapper spits an allegorical state-of-the-genre address, transcending the “hip-hop’s dead/alive” clichés in three poetic, densely allusive verses. Intoxicated singer Eddie B. steps up his game to match, providing plenty of jazzy, multilayered vocal harmonies in addition to a catchy hook. Watch for the emcee’s third and final DJBooth.net exclusive to hit our front page next week, and stay tuned for further details on his Is It Cuz I’m White? mixtape, coming soon.
Written by richard on 06/23/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Intoxicated ft. Eddie B" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.