As Nathan S. has made abundantly clear in his “Your Favorite Rapper Is Poor” series on RefinedHype, the luxurious, high-rolling image often upheld by hip-hop artists is largely a simulacrum—an idealized copy of something that was never real to begin with. On new single The Sight, QuESt pulls back the veil to expose the struggle, sacrifice and hard work that lie behind the glossy exterior. In-house producer A.I (ICE) shows a knack for mood-setting on the production tip, serving up a sparse, reverb-drenched piano beat backed by the ambiance of crashing wave. The freestyle series alum, of course, comes with contemplative rhymes to match, admitting that he’s had “a ton of sh*t up on [his] mind” but leaving no doubt that he’s going to keep grinding till he breathes his last breathe. Omen (the Chitown rapper-producer, not the NYC beatsmith) provides moral support on the back, giving listeners a taste of the “pain behind [the] bars.” The end result is a headphone-ready banger that’s fresh, insightful and—most of all—real. Those who like what they’re hearing can find plenty more insightful jams on the Miami repper’s aptly-titled How Thoughtful 2 mixtape, scheduled to hit the ‘net in late summer.
Written by richard on 06/5/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"No One's Allowed" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.