Don’t let the laid-back delivery and cool demeanor fool you – QuESt’s musical hustle has earned him his share of gray hairs. Nonetheless, on new mixtape freestyle Elevator Status, the Miami native succeeds in making his internal conflict sound almost… relaxing. That’s thanks in large part to Havoc‘s silky, Latin-informed boardwork (from Mobb Deep‘s Where Ya Heart At?), which QuESt makes sound even smoother than on the original, delivering winding rhymes packed with vivid imagery (“Try to pray to God to send you angels, but it’s hard to see the positive when glancing from an angle that shows pain.”) and even shifting into triple-time without missing a beat. He ends the cut with what can only be interpreted as a challenge; “ just hope you understand every word that I’m sayin’.” Needless to say, that’ll take quite a few repeat spins, but I have a feeling fans in the Booth will be more than happy to oblige. If you like what you’re hearing, you can find more on the artist’s How Thoughtful mixtape, released today and available now online. In addition, watch for QuESt’s contribution to our exclusive freestyle series to premiere later this month.
Listen to More: QuESt
Written by richard on 02/11/10
Visionary Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"No One's Allowed" (2009)
You Might Like...
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.