Don’t let the laid-back delivery and cool demeanor fool you – QuESt’s musical hustle has earned him his share of gray hairs. Nonetheless, on new mixtape freestyle Elevator Status, the Miami native succeeds in making his internal conflict sound almost… relaxing. That’s thanks in large part to Havoc‘s silky, Latin-informed boardwork (from Mobb Deep‘s Where Ya Heart At?), which QuESt makes sound even smoother than on the original, delivering winding rhymes packed with vivid imagery (“Try to pray to God to send you angels, but it’s hard to see the positive when glancing from an angle that shows pain.”) and even shifting into triple-time without missing a beat. He ends the cut with what can only be interpreted as a challenge; “ just hope you understand every word that I’m sayin’.” Needless to say, that’ll take quite a few repeat spins, but I have a feeling fans in the Booth will be more than happy to oblige. If you like what you’re hearing, you can find more on the artist’s How Thoughtful mixtape, released today and available now online. In addition, watch for QuESt’s contribution to our exclusive freestyle series to premiere later this month.
Written by richard on 02/11/10
Submit your Rating
Visionary Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"No One's Allowed" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.