It may be mid-September but California sunshine coupled with heavily layered synths and the ghost of Roger Troutman will make it feel like summer any time of the year. For his first DJ Booth feature, Pasadena’s own Qualmes has no issues on G. Cue‘s bouncy Nothin’s Hollywood production, which also features the man behind the capitalized statement Skeme. The latest single from Qualmes’ Mood Swings project (out now), Nothin’s Hollywood finds the duo treating the track like a two-man relay team. Skeme lets easily packaged punchlines (and one hashtag rap moment) set up Qualmes’ polished soliloquy on how listening to Too $hort and others of Todd Shaw’s ilk help shaped him. Looks like the West continues to produce artists worthy of repeated listens.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- King Mez - Long Live the King
- Freeway x Girl Talk - Broken Ankles EP
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.