It may be mid-September but California sunshine coupled with heavily layered synths and the ghost of Roger Troutman will make it feel like summer any time of the year. For his first DJ Booth feature, Pasadena’s own Qualmes has no issues on G. Cue‘s bouncy Nothin’s Hollywood production, which also features the man behind the capitalized statement Skeme. The latest single from Qualmes’ Mood Swings project (out now), Nothin’s Hollywood finds the duo treating the track like a two-man relay team. Skeme lets easily packaged punchlines (and one hashtag rap moment) set up Qualmes’ polished soliloquy on how listening to Too $hort and others of Todd Shaw’s ilk help shaped him. Looks like the West continues to produce artists worthy of repeated listens.
Written by Brando on 09/19/11
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)