If you’re as obsessed with tracking down samples as I am, you already know that Kendrick Lamar‘s Sounwave-produced B*tch Don’t Kill My Vibe borrows its hazy guitar riff from Tilden Flyver, a single by Danish electronic collective Boom Clap Bachelors. What does that have to do with this song? I’m glad you asked, self. Quadron is a side-project of Coco B. and producer/multi-instrumentalist Robin Hannibal, two members of BCB. So, in lending his flow to new single Better Off, the emcee is effectively returning the favor. The record itself is a smooth, soulful number ideal for a long bath or a quiet evening in. Coco handles the opening and closing verses, showcasing her breathy vocal style over her partner’s understated percussion and mellow horns. On the middle, K. Dot manages to deliver his usual flames without, well, killing the joint’s delicate vibe. Interest piqued? More blissfully mellow bangers await on Quadron’s Avalance LP, set to drop digitally June 4, via Vested in Culture/Epic. Click here to pre-order the album on iTunes.
Written by richard on 05/24/13
Vested in Culture/EPIC
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hey Love (Ryan Hemsworth Remix)" (2013)
Total DJ Booth Features:
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.