Believe it not, A Tribe Called Quest has only been separated for 10 years. It seems like an eternity, doesn’t it? Since that fateful day, each of its three members have paved their own paths to relative irrelevance. Muhammad has faded away into R&B, Phife has teased with us empty promises of a comeback, and Q-Tip has toyed with success, only to let us down time and time again. Now in the midst of his fourth attempt at a solo album since ’99, Tip may finally be back on point. The potential lead single, a self-produced morning song called Gettin Up, sounds like a breath of fresh air. Perhaps reuniting with his ATCQ crew for the Rock the Bells tour this year has given him a surge of inspiration. The track will appear on his forthcoming album, The Renaissance, due in September.
Note: The streaming of “Gettin Up” has temporarily been suspended.
Written by Charlie E. on 07/10/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Why You Wanna (Mick Boogie Remix)" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.