In late January, Q-Tip proved his remix prowess beyond a shadow of a doubt, bringing a trio of wildly different talents together to revamp his Renaissance Rap. Though this latest remix doesn’t have the strange-on-paper, great-in-execution surprise factor of its predecessor, the tried-and-true talent brought to bear here is undeniable, and the results should appeal especially to the old school set. This version of We Love, We Fight pushes Tip’s original opening verse to the middle of the cut, leaving him flanked by Kanye West and GOOD Music emcee Consequence. The combination of a emcee/producer now famous for tackling hellish relationship problems and a longtime Tribe collaborator (not to mention Tip’s cousin) over a subtly revamped version of the Abstract’s mellow instrumental seems destined to yield hip-hop gold, and it does, though some might miss the pop appeal Raphael Saadiq brought to the original. Fans can currently catch Q-Tip touring in support of his latest LP, The Renaissance.
Written by richard on 03/26/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Why You Wanna (Mick Boogie Remix)" (2006)
You Might Like...
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.