One man does not a Renaissance make, even if that man is as talented as veteran rapper/producer Q-Tip; to spark a true cultural revival, you need the support of your era’s best and brightest. This newly-released remix of Tip’s Renaissance Rap bodes well for his vision of our musical future – in addition to a rerecorded version of the original opening verse, it features two prominent industry vets and one wildly-popular emcee whose name is synonymous with the new school of hip-hop. Of the three guest contributors, Raekwon sounds the most at-home over the Abstract’s own easygoing beat, while Busta Rhymes comes off as lyrically on-point but a little impatient. The combination of Weezy‘s free-association flow with Tip’s tuneful, retro-toned production is strange, but not in a bad way - personally, I think the old-school backdrop suits him better than grinding modern-rock guitar. Though this remix isn’t set to be pushed as a single, it’s a very enjoyable listen, not to mention a surefire conversation-starter.
Written by richard on 01/29/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Why You Wanna (Mick Boogie Remix)" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.