One man does not a Renaissance make, even if that man is as talented as veteran rapper/producer Q-Tip; to spark a true cultural revival, you need the support of your era’s best and brightest. This newly-released remix of Tip’s Renaissance Rap bodes well for his vision of our musical future – in addition to a rerecorded version of the original opening verse, it features two prominent industry vets and one wildly-popular emcee whose name is synonymous with the new school of hip-hop. Of the three guest contributors, Raekwon sounds the most at-home over the Abstract’s own easygoing beat, while Busta Rhymes comes off as lyrically on-point but a little impatient. The combination of Weezy‘s free-association flow with Tip’s tuneful, retro-toned production is strange, but not in a bad way - personally, I think the old-school backdrop suits him better than grinding modern-rock guitar. Though this remix isn’t set to be pushed as a single, it’s a very enjoyable listen, not to mention a surefire conversation-starter.
Written by richard on 01/29/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Why You Wanna (Mick Boogie Remix)" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.