One man does not a Renaissance make, even if that man is as talented as veteran rapper/producer Q-Tip; to spark a true cultural revival, you need the support of your era’s best and brightest. This newly-released remix of Tip’s Renaissance Rap bodes well for his vision of our musical future – in addition to a rerecorded version of the original opening verse, it features two prominent industry vets and one wildly-popular emcee whose name is synonymous with the new school of hip-hop. Of the three guest contributors, Raekwon sounds the most at-home over the Abstract’s own easygoing beat, while Busta Rhymes comes off as lyrically on-point but a little impatient. The combination of Weezy‘s free-association flow with Tip’s tuneful, retro-toned production is strange, but not in a bad way - personally, I think the old-school backdrop suits him better than grinding modern-rock guitar. Though this remix isn’t set to be pushed as a single, it’s a very enjoyable listen, not to mention a surefire conversation-starter.
Written by richard on 01/29/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Why You Wanna (Mick Boogie Remix)" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.