We’re a long way from Pusha T rhyming over Neptunes beats as a part of the Clipse. Case in point, today’s release What Dreams Are Made Of, a cut that sounds much more Lex Luger-ish than Hell Hath No Fury-esque. Clearly crafted to be heard blasting out the window of a fellow motorist’s car, the Boi1da and The VIPs production borders on the overwhelming, opening with a Ric Flair sample and transitioning into a hypnotic, string-laced beat. Lyrically Pusha departs from what we’ve come to expect from the usually more experimental G.O.O.D Music family, going deeper into Dirty South territory than usual while still dropping his trademark Pyrex-inspired flows and drug kinpin references: “Prayer service held in the kitchen / I wish they never found Jimmy Henchman.” So how about it longtime Push loyalists, is this new direction a good look for one of the godfather’s of coke rap, or is he headed down the wrong road? Dreams is one of the few tastes off Pusha’s Fear of God: Let Us Pray EP we haven’t heard yet – look out for the full serving to arrive on November 8.
Written by Trixx on 10/24/11
Submit your Rating
G.O.O.D Music/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Back In The Go Go ft. Bun B, Pusha T & Tre (from UCB)" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.