We’re a long way from Pusha T rhyming over Neptunes beats as a part of the Clipse. Case in point, today’s release What Dreams Are Made Of, a cut that sounds much more Lex Luger-ish than Hell Hath No Fury-esque. Clearly crafted to be heard blasting out the window of a fellow motorist’s car, the Boi1da and The VIPs production borders on the overwhelming, opening with a Ric Flair sample and transitioning into a hypnotic, string-laced beat. Lyrically Pusha departs from what we’ve come to expect from the usually more experimental G.O.O.D Music family, going deeper into Dirty South territory than usual while still dropping his trademark Pyrex-inspired flows and drug kinpin references: “Prayer service held in the kitchen / I wish they never found Jimmy Henchman.” So how about it longtime Push loyalists, is this new direction a good look for one of the godfather’s of coke rap, or is he headed down the wrong road? Dreams is one of the few tastes off Pusha’s Fear of God: Let Us Pray EP we haven’t heard yet – look out for the full serving to arrive on November 8.
Written by Trixx on 10/24/11
G.O.O.D Music/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Back In The Go Go ft. Bun B, Pusha T & Tre (from UCB)" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)